Sunday, October 7, 2007

What I have on hand for suppers for the next 11 days

Ok, dh and I went to pick up a few groceries last night. I did get my turkey but they weren't on sale :( , I had planned on spending no more than $15 for the turkey and veggies for our thanksgiving dinner and the turkey alone cost $17.19! This was for a 9lb turkey which is to feed 9 of us tomorrow. We should be fine however, that should be plenty I would think lol. My turnip was $1.51 and cranberry sauce was $1.77(that was the cheapest I could find) Anyhow, I over spent by $3.05. This is what I bought:

Turkey--------------$17.19
Med ground beef-----$ 4.01
Med ground beef-----$ 3.96
Turnip -------------$ 1.51
10lb potato---------$ .97
10lb potato---------$ .97
iceburg lettuce-----$ .97
cranberry sauce ---$ 1.77
Colgate toothpaste--$ .69
Colgate toothpaste--$ .69
4 litres(3 bags)milk$ 5.13
________
Total $37.86
GST (tax) 6% .08
TVP (Quebec tax) .11
________
Grand total $38.05

So, I didn't waste our money , I bought two 10 pounds of Potatoes as I need to also make my everlasting yeast and I am feeding a family of 5 right now. There is Dh,me Ds aged 23, Dd 16 and Dd 14. We had just used up the last of our toothpaste yesterday and considering we brush our teeth 2 to 3x a day I figured I had better get two tubes just in case lol.

I have 11 days until my "First" payday from the school, it will include my first week there, last week along with this upcoming week. the following week will go towards my next pay. I am hoping to get about $200, I am not sure with taxes etc though.

On hand for dinners with Meat I have :

2 small steaks= 1 meal--------beef pot pie

1 small ham = 2 meals-------(1)Fried ham,mashed potato,veggies (2)ham,corn scalloped potato

2 lbs of hamburger = 3 meals-----(1)hamburger and macaroni (2)homemade spaghettie (3)Not sure of the 3rd meal yet

1 Turkey = 3 meals (1) turkey dinner (2)turkey soup (of course! lol) (3) turkey fried rice.

1 1/2 pork tenderloin = 3 meals---(1) Roast pork dinner,potato,gravy and veggies (2) pork fried rice, (3) Hot pork sandwhiches with baked homefries.

Ok, that is 12 meals right there for suppers, I do have a small pkg of salami,one green pepper,onions, mozorella cheese,and pizza sauce so I will be seeing how far I can stretch this to have a pizza night.

I think that I have too many meals with potato so we can also instead have something like grilled cheese (using cheeze whiz) and tomato soup. I also have 3 boxes of kraft dinner on hand. I have lots of spices and baking supplies.

Today I will be making- triple batch of sugar cookies with sprinkles, 1 banana bread (I have 3 ripe bananas in the house lol) I have a can of pumpkin so I will make either pumkin bread or muffins. I will sometime this week also be making up a couple of cakes but I put them in bread pans and freeze,that way the cake won't get eaten up all at once.I have powdered milk in the house that I use for baking, this helps save on the milk.

Breakfasts will consist of either cereal (corn flakes),oatmeal, toast with peanut butter or cheeze whiz,jam etc, pancakes,muffins, french toast,fried bread dough with syrup.

I have apples for fruit, the milk they can have with breakfast,I have 7 cans of frozen juice in the freezer.

Lunches they can take sandwhiches or leftovers or I have canned chicken noodle soup etc...

I also have enough salad to last us about a week so they can have that as an appetizer for supper etc...

I will probably tweak this as I just went through it quickly. I went $3.05 over yesterday on what I had planned for groceries so I will either take that out of our change jar or dh said that he should be ok with about $20 for gas till my payday we will see.

My payday is basically gone, I have to pay $190 to the school for the girls to eat their lunches there (no cafeteria, they take their lunches but everyone has to pay this fee). I am thinking of paying 1/2 of this on my first payday and then the other 1/2 at the end of the month.

Anyhow, I also have 1 pound of bacon so I am off and running, I am making for brunch today pancakes and bacon. Tonight for supper we are having the hamburger and macaroni :)

4 comments:

Kacie said...

I think you did a fantastic job. Considering how many mouths you're feeding...and for almost 2 weeks! Fantastic.

Recently, I prepared 10 pounds of potatoes. We're still eating them! I froze a lot of the dishes in single-serve portions.

Do they have a CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens near you? You can get free stuff if you plan your deals correctly.

Heather said...

Hi! :)

I am actually quite surprise that it is coming together lol. I do need butter however so I have to figure out where I can budget that in.

We don't have a CVS,Rite Aid,or a Walgreens here sure wish we did though :). I am in Canada. We also don't have very many coupons here, at least I havn't found them.

kbeeps said...

Hey Heather! I'm a bit behind on your blog...

Sounds like you have things well-organized in the food department! Don't forget simple meal stretchers, like having everyone drink a big glass of water before they eat, and serving bread with dinner. That can definitely help your food go farther!

Heather said...

Hi Karen! I never thought about drinking a big glass of water before each meal, wish I had thought of that as it is a Great idea! The bread we have been doing however or they can have salad if they like.

It is however getting low now, can't wait till payday!