Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kids and Allowances

I have been trying to rack my mind on different ways to help save money and for our family,to not have the feeling of being deprived. This has mostly to do with the children not feeling deprived actually.

We have two girls and they are 14 and 16, yes, two teenaged girls lol,who like to hop on the transit bus once in awhile to visit with friends or buy a hot lunch with their friends and even enjoy going to the odd movie.

We have not had the money to do this as we have been so focused on paying down our debt sooner than later. I think that i may have come up with a perfect solution..I hope!

Tomorrow is Dhs payday. When he goes to the bank to deposit his pay I am going to have him pick up $85 in change which will include one roll each of twoonies,loonies and quarters. I will then take two plastic jars one for each dd and put their names on them. Then, I will put $40 in each and this will be their allowance for the month which works out to $10 a week each. Prices are high here, just for a return transit bus ticket for the girls to go and visit their friends is $3.20 each and one hot lunch is minimum $6. That is a total of $9.20 for one week. If they want to go to a movie, for students it is still $8 and if they want to buy a pop or juice there I don't even know if $2 would cover it at the movies.

I am thinking with the girls seeing all of that change it will last longer subconciously opposed to giving them a $5 or $10 bill.

Anyhow, that is what we will try and see how that works. The $5 left over from the $85 we will put into our change jar.

No comments: