Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chocolate Macaroon No Bake Cookies

I had this recipe in an old cookbook , the cookbook is so old the cover is not even on it anymore. You can actually find this recipe all over the internet but I havn't seen the directions quite like I cook them up and I have heard here and there how some people have difficulty making them as they will not hold together well etc...

I will put the recipe here and type down how I make them up in case anyone who has tried and this recipe has not worked for them, maybe the way I do it might help :)


"No Bake" Chocolate Macaroon Cookies ( I usually double this recipe)

1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup marg or butter (I use margerine)
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of cocoa
1 cup of coconut
3 cups of quick oats

(1) First I get everything in order. I put in a large bowl (or 4 litre ice cream container) coconut,oatmeal,cocoa. I mix that up and set aside. I then put in a seperate bowl all by itself the sugar. Next I make sure that I have a long strip of tinfoil on my counter and get out two large tablespoons, I will use one spoon for scooping up the cookies once finished in the pot and the other to scrape off the cookies so that I have nice mounds of cookies on the tinfoil.

(2) I take the butter and melt it in a large pot on medium heat, once melted I add the milk and wait for that to heat up. I then add the sugar stir it all together on medium heat until it starts to boil stirring occasionally...I do sometimes turn up the heat or I will put a cover on it and keep peeking to see when it has started boiling but I still stir it occasionally lol.

(3) Once you see it first start to boil, even just a few bubbles make sure if you were using a lid to take it off and look at your clock and time it for exactly 3 minutes, this is a crucial step ( for me anyhow lol)I find that if I let it boil for more than 3 minutes the cookies will fall apart when trying to put them on the tinfoil.Keep stirring every now and again.You can also turn the heat down to min.once it is in a full boil.

(4) When the 3 minutes are up immediately turn off your burner, take your pot over by your tinfoil and start scooping the cookies and put on the tinfoil. Wait for them to cool before eating :)


I also wanted to add that this recipe usually calls for 1 tsp of vanilla but I do not use it. I also do not add coconut for when the kids take them for a snack at school as it is a peanut free school and there are a few children there with allergys. Instead of adding coconut I just replace it with 1/2 cup of oatmeal, unless I double this recipe then I add a full cup.

No comments: