Friday, October 26, 2007

Great Deal but No Money.

Do you ever notice that when you have no extra money to spare that all of the good deals seem to come out? Why is this? Is it because of a feeling of deprivation? Is it because we feel like we deserve to live like we did before debt? Is this some kind of a test of wills?

I have heard it all, or at least a lot of excuses on why someone should purchase this or that by saying for example "Well, it only cost x amount of $ and it was too good of a deal to pass up."

Too good of a deal to pass up? If one is in debt how could you not pass it up? I don't mean spending money to survive like with food,housing,electricity etc....I am thinking along the lines of above and beyond what is a necessity.

I am writing this entry, because I have been offered a great deal! I owe debt but as myself being a human,I have been debating back and forth should I purchase this item? Should I actually just pay the minimum on all of my debts so that I may purchase this item? I justify this with the fact that I am still making minimum payments so what is the harm?

There is "harm" by doing this, for me personally anyhow. For one, the item is $500. Way too much to take out of a snowball. What I should have maybe done is when each pay came in take out a little bit of $ and set aside and that way when a great deal did come along it wouldn't be such a large amount of money at once. But then there is the emergency fund which needs funding.I really should have funded that first and foremost opposed to worrying about a good deal.

Another thought to consider,the $500 which I would take out of our pay isn't our money anyhow, it belongs to whoever we owe debt to, we had already spent that $500 prior when borrowing in the first place which belonged to someone else whether it be a credit card,personal loan etc.

Bottom line for me? Never forget this feeling of frustration and think twice in the future before spending someone elses money.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't do it unless it is an item you truly, truly need. My husband always is finding "great deals" and they are really great deals. But, you know what? There will be more great deals when you get your debt to the level you want. The mother in me is coming out ... and I say "Don't do it!"

Heather said...

Thanks Dawn :). I have no intentions of doing it, just having one of those "why the great deals now?" kind of moments :)

It was actually a drum set for my two teenaged dds Christmas gift, it was used but just like new and 1/2 of the original price.

Another good deal will come along after we get this debt out of the way :)

Amanda Jayne said...

That's the way it always is, isn't it? It's so hard when you see something at such a good price...and you just can't afford it. I always make myself stop by telling myself that's how I got into debt to begin with!

wealthy_1 said...

I'm so glad you're not going to do it. You're right. There will be other deals.