Sunday, December 9, 2007

Where do you see yourself right now as well as in 10 years from now?

As I am typing this blog entry I am thinking of how great dh and I are doing. Over the past 3 months we have paid off $3800 in debt,funded our baby emergency fund with $1000, we are not behind on any of our bills, have lots of food in the house, our health is good, and we have a steady income which we are not taking for granted.We live in a modest bungalow of our choice along with a paid for car which means no car payment :).

We do have luxeries such as basic cable, internet,and phone with a long distance plan . I do consider these luxeries as they are not necessities,at least for us.

Dh and I have a dream where he has a choice if he so desires to retire in 10 years from now, I am pretty sure that we can reach this goal. Even though 10 years might seem so far away to some, in reality, it is like time being magnified under a microscope, it is closer than we think!

We have had a lot of fun dreaming about when that day finally arrives. Dh wants to sell the house pick up a used RV and just travel all over North America. I would rather keep the house,rent it out so that we will always have a place to call home.I think it would be neat to buy an old milk truck (my friend did this) renovate it ourselves (the interior) and possibly put in a better engine if that is required. It would be the perfect size for the two of us although I am not sure how fast they travel.

I have thought about having to store our furniture and dh said to just sell it all lol. I realize that furniture are only objects but I find that I have an attachment to a few pieces. Our dining room table for example, we eat there every night for supper as a family, we have had this table and chairs for many years. It was second hand when we bought it at a store and it took us 9 months back then to keep it on lay-a-way until we had paid it off in full to bring home. I remember the owner saying that we could take it home with us right away but we didn't like that idea until it was paid off. Funny how we were so smart as a young couple about that but yet so dissapointing in other financial ways.

For the fun of it I went to the NetworthIQ website to get an idea of where we are at right now, at this time dh and my net worth is $57,690 and once the credit card is paid off it will go up to $63,420. We will have another 10 years to add to that :). The thing is however, that is not liquid money, it is mostly invested between our home and investment property not to mention if we keep our main house we won't have that equity however, it is perfect for us for when we retire opposed to having it sitting around elsewhere.We also have to consider the capital gain tax we will have to pay on any profit once we sell the investment property.

Another thing for us to consider is dhs military pension.If we rented out this house, and had no mortgage payments to pay had money in the bank to cover emergencies including in case our house became vacant, his pension would do us nicely while on the road.

All in all it is a very good start in the right direction with our plan. I am not sure if we will travel around, maybe for one year but I want us to plan so that we will at least have that option when the time comes and the time will come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather... I've tagged you with a seven random things meme.
Have fun!

Debt Dieter said...

I loved reading the first this post, your confidence and sense of achivement were palpable, congratulations!

Mom of 3 said...

Sounds like you are doing great! And well on your way towards retirement.

Erin/Working For Financial Freedom