Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Met A New Friend And She Likes To Shop!

Although, they are mortgage free! Did I mention that their 3 second hand cars are paid off?

My friend received an inheritance from her Fathers estate. Her and her dh paid off their mortgage, WTG!

I have been riding with her to work as it is too cold for me to walk. This week with dh being in Toronto on a business trip I have had our car so I am driving her :). I have noticed that she shops alot but then again Christmas is just around the corner too.

After work a couple of days ago I took her into the city shopping, We had so much fun!

We went to 4 different stores and at the last one she picked up two beautiful sweaters, I said how nice they were and they felt so soft! My new friend said well we have time, go pick yourself up a couple and I will wait for you....I can't believe this but I "Almost" went for it! I looked at her and then I took a couple of steps in the direction of the sweaters! I stopped for a second and thought "what am I doing?". I rationalized that yes, I would love to have something new and nice for work but I have nice sweaters at home and buying a couple of these sweaters is not a Need, it is a Want. I turned to look at my new friend and said that I think I will hold off as I don't really need a new sweater or two right now lol.

I have been on this frugal journey now for 5 years , since moving here in this province I have not had a friend to go shopping with. It was just too easy for me to "almost" slip back to my old ways because I almost went on impulse.

I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was 4pm while we were still out and about so I did pick up a burger at McDonalds. My friend looked at me and said how I hadn't bought anything at all while out shopping. I told her that I still had loads of fun, and that I would be Christmas shopping at the end of the week.

So, today after work we will be going again but the difference for me is that I will have a list with me, always carry a list and stick by it whether it is for groceries, gifts, things for your home etc..

Am I proud of myself? You bet I am! :).

1 comment:

Making Cents of Debt said...

Good for you for spotting this impulse before you fell for it! I have the same problem. It seems so easy to treat myself when I'm with someone else who is buying things even if I didn't plan too.