Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Good,The Bad, The Ugly And The Future

The Good : Payday is in 3 more Days! Why am I excited? Because another debt bites the dust! The last $500 left owing to our mortgage broker will be paid in full!

Dh and I will have paid out $3800 on our debt in 9 weeks by cutting back to the bare basics,becoming "Really" creative, me picking up a part time job and of course we did end up skipping one mortgage payment which we had never done before.

The Bad : Dh last week had to go on a business trip. He deposited 2 cheques into our bank account from his boss to travel with and our bank put a hold on one of them as it was deposited through our debit machine. What little bit of money I had set aside in our account dh needed to put gas in the truck his boss had rented.He didn't call his boss as it was late in the evening when he discovered this. I have been dipping into the change jar as I did not do a complete grocery shop, well, with what I had left over to work with.

The Ugly: Dh used the credit card to pay for his hotel while on his business trip because of the reason above. It was that or he would have been sleeping in the truck for the night. I have to change the total owing on the credit card now as soon as dh calls for the total balance. Dh has not finalized his claim for this last trip so whatever his boss owes him will go onto the credit card.

The Future : I can see us having the credit card paid off in full within 3 to 4 months and then we will be living debt free except for the mortgage and regular living expenses. I miss this way of living that is a given! We have had this taste of freedom and all I can say is We definately want it back! :)

Now, with what little I did pick up for groceries and personal items guess what I ended up forgetting this time around? Shampoo! You can just imagine my horror yesterday morning getting ready for work and realizing we were out of this. I ended up coming up with the idea to use sunlight dish detergent which by the way I would not recommend lol, but in a pinch it does the trick as long as you have conditoner and I guess you could say my hair was "squeaky" clean. My payday is in 2 more days so I will only have to do this again once until then. I guess this would be called "making due" until then.

Again, trial and error will make us stronger :). I used up my last 2 eggs last night to make a double batch of sugar cookies with sprinkles for lunches over the next couple of days. I also still have 2 double packs of jello to make up along with some apples. I had gone back to store bought bread but will have to make up a few loaves of homemade this evening as we are almost out. I finally got the hot chocolate mix done up as well so I don't have to worry about snacks for everyones lunches.

I am thinking of taking $150 from my pay to spend on our groceries. I however won't be getting any convenience foods out of that as that takes up too many precious dollars,not that I have been doing that anyhow. I think that I will however divide that money up and grocery shop once a week with $75 opposed to shopping at one time for the two weeks. I find that I tend to run out of something or another when I spend it all up at once.

To help me stay accountable I will post my groceries on here and the price I have spent on them. I live in Canada some of the food will be priced higher then in the U.S.A. I should be doing this either Thursday evening or Friday afternoon.

So, there you have it. The good, the bad, the ugly and the future.

2 comments:

wealthy_1 said...

I'm always amazed at how my grocery bill shrinks when I keep to the perimeter of the grocery store.

Good Luck, but buy groceries. You have to eat.

Heather said...

Thanks! We did better on groceries this last round opposed to the round before. I just needed to know how long something would last me. The first time I ran out of eggs,butter,and flour but this time I ran out of shampoo lol. When I used my last two eggs I knew that I would be shopping for groceries in 2 more days so actually it wasn't as bad as the first time :).

You are certainly right though, we need to eat and I did splurge on groceries yesterday. I actually went a little too crazy but all in all we did pretty good.

I will also need extra sooner than later for my Christmas baking.That is just around the corner the way the days have been flying by.