Saturday, November 10, 2007

Christmas is Coming, Ready or Not!

Christmas will soon be upon us! Lynnae whose blog is being frugal has a wonderful entry "50 Frugal Christmas Ideas"

Please check out her blog, I am sure that you will become as addicted to her frugal lifestyle and ideas as I have :)

Dh and I will be taking off the month of December from paying down debt to making minimum payments only...although, Dh will be getting a commission cheque from work which we are praying will pay off our investment property taxes in full!

Over the past couple of years I do a gift bag for my children opposed to using a basket. I will definately be doing this again this year. For dd 14 I will be doing up a book lovers gift bag. I will be buying her a couple of books from a website called bookcloseouts I will add a pretty, maybe even a homemade bookmark and a bag of her favorite candy fuzzy peaches, a book light possibly, and I think that I will include a stuffed animal (kitten) in there to keep her company while she reads lol. The reason being for the stuffed kitty is because she has mentioned that she would like a kitten but we already have two cats so that is out of the question :). I think that I will also include a notebook of sorts and pretty pen so that she can jot down any ideas for writing a book of her own :)

I also found a link "Fabulous Gift Basket Ideas" lots of great ideas there.

Now for dd 16. I will do her a salon pack gift bag. Which can be found at the above link for gift basket ideas #29.

Ds will receive a young mans survival bag. I could put cologne, socks, gloves, scarf,and a movie, all from the flea market along with a snack,and a phone card.

I will be doing dh a road trip gift bag idea #51, again found at the above link for gift basket ideas, I will not however be adding hotel coupons ,tire gauge as he already has one or a beaded seat cover.

Our kids each receive one more gift along with their stockings. Any money we receive from family members is divided up between the kids which they can use to shop for any boxing day sales if they choose.

Christmas isn't just about giving and receiving presents. I like to sit down with my family over the holidays and discuss the true meaning of Christmas. We are celebrating the birth of the Lord Jesus and how God gave us such a gift when he sent us his son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted ... I was wondering where you have been?
I agree it is so important to keep perspective of what the true meaning of the holidays really are. I have made a b-day cake for Jesus since my sons were children ... they are now 20 and 23, and still hold that tradition dear:)

Heather said...

Dawn, that is such a Wonderful idea! I think that I will use your idea starting this year with making Jesus a birthday cake :)

I have been around and have a couple of saved entries lol but havn't posted them yet, I will get on it :)